Thursday, July 27, 2006

Labrador Tourism Needs Better Promotion

I read the article posted by NL-Expat about tourists in Labrador who described the infrastructure as not even meeting the basic tourist needs. It was truly hard to believe that someone could be on the highway and not know where to turn for the ferry. Anyway for what it's worth, I am sending Hospitality Newfoundland & Labrador, and the Tourism Department my two sheckles worth. I imagine they've heard this many times before, but another voice will at least add to the message of tourism neglect in Labrador. Here's what I sent to Mr. Nick McGrath, president of HNL president@hnl.ca, and to the Department of Tourism: tcrinfo@gov.nl.ca:

To: Mr. Tom Hedderson, Mr. Nick McGrath

Dear Sirs,

I want to first of all wish you the greatest success in your efforts to promote Newfoundland & Labrador tourism. The following news story may have already been brought to your attention, but I just wanted to add another voice from the province.

I am originally from the Burin Peninsula but read in disbelief the Labradorian article at http://www.thelabradorian.ca/index.cfm?iid=1625&sid=12115 which describes the apparant lack of signage on Labrador roads, tourist literature, souvenirs, promotional material at ferry terminals, and inadequate ferry service. It is hard to believe that someone unfamiliar with the area would come to a T intersection and not know whether to take a left or right for the ferry. One would think this is a given.

Mr. McGrath, I am happy to see that you are from Labrador, and I am sure there couldn't be a better advocate for Labrador tourism. I can tell you that more and more people not from Labrador are equally concerned about the neglect that evidently exists in regards to Labrador tourism. It just came to my attention from a fellow NL blogger. Hopefully being aware of these problems will prompt action from our government and tourism agencies to put some basic tourist communications, promotions, signage in place so that anyone can travel to this wonderful part of the province and easily find places, and activities they have heard of.

Thank you, and again, best wishes to you both.

Sincerely,

___________

7 comments:

Brian said...

Myself, and I’m sure others, would be interested in any and all replies you receive on this.
Good luck, or better yet; may the spirit of Torngat be with you.

Charlie said...

I'll be sure to post any response I get from this Brian.

NL-ExPatriate said...

Nothing yet hey?

Charlie said...

No, not a word from anyone. Maybe the minister went to Labrador for vacation, but got lost because of poor signage.

NL-ExPatriate said...

LOL oh that was good!

NL-ExPatriate said...

Govt releases a consultation doc on labrador transportation. Call for input and experience.
http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/2006/tw/1107n01.htm

NL-ExPatriate said...

Just ran across this release.
http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/2007/tw/0119n05.htm
I didn't realize we didn't have a reservation system for the Labrador ferry runs. This should help some.